Wednesday, June 5, 2013

    Breaking news day! We had two breaking news situations today as well as two press conferences to cover.  So saying it was busy at the assignment desk is a tremendous understatement.  About an hour or so into work, a building in Philadelphia crashed.  As part of my job, i fielded calls (because for some reason people call to ask the news rather than just watching it) and did research.  I called hospitals and tried to find eye witnesses.  This ate up my time until about 1:30.
      I broke away for lunch at this point and met my friend Gaby at the Brian Ross investigative unit on the second floor.  I don't get a break for lunch so i just chatted with her then ran back upstairs to continue my research on the collapse.  The weird thing about the collapse is that the construction company in charge of the project where the building collapsed was MIA.  We found the name of the company and couldn't find them anywhere online.... it was odd to say the least.
      After that, the lottery winner in Florida was announced.  An 85 year old woman if you can believe it.  Wouldn't you love to be her kin (that's awful to say!).  We started booking crews to cover it both in Florida and then a quick one locally.  We put Paula Farris and Carlos Boettcher on it and i got to go along for the stand up... which unfortunately was cancelled the second we arrived on location.
      I caught a cab home from the site since it was closer than walking back to the station but still just a little too far to walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment