Tuesday, May 21, 2013

     Disney.  That's the only word i can think of to describe my first day at ABC, so i am officially dubbing that my summer adjective.  I'll define it as this: Perky and Professional.  Everything went smoothly, everyone was friendly and professional and it was all around wonderful.
     Today, as many of you know, was the first round of intern orientations. As i was getting ready a very good omen struck as i saw my professor Mike Boettcher on Good Morning America covering the destruction in Moore.  He is arguably the sole reason i got this internship and I went on my way remembering the faith that that man has in me thus gaining new confidence.
     I left my apartment at 8:15 and caught a train as soon as i entered the station and 5 stops later was at the entrance to ABC.  It wasn't the building that Dad and I visited over Spring Break though, which threw me off because that's what i was expecting.  I entered the circular doors and about 5 seemingly college aged kids were standing by the cafe on the right... we were not yet given the right to enter the sliding security doors that lead up to the hallowed ABC studios and offices.  During this waiting period, the 30(ish) of us chatted and learned where each of us were going to intern.  Roughly a quarter of us were GMA, a couple were in marketing, a few 20/20 and Nightline and only four of us were the only ones in our particular department.  A girl named Gaby has the investigative department,  a guy has News 1, another was doing the View and I, of course, am doing the Assignment Desk and handling all of the above.
     At exactly 9 am we were given temporary badges and followed the intern coordinators to the top floor executive conference room.  What a view it had.  You could see the New York skyline! Not that we really got to enjoy it because a mass amount of our time was spent filling out paperwork.
However, the intern coordinators made it fun by cracking jokes and keeping attitudes high.  We then took ID pictures and learned about the perks and precautions of the job.  I'll know more about the perks tomorrow when i am able to log onto my Disney Account but, between you and me, they sound extensive and exciting.
     Everyone was "Disney"and excited about the summer ahead.  I made new friends and i think i'm on my way to becoming a New Yorker.

No comments:

Post a Comment